A TRAWLER'S coldroom has been significantly damaged after welding sparks started a fire.
Bundaberg Queensland Fire and Rescue Service station officer John Blackley said firefighters received a call at 9.15am today with reports of a fire inside the trawler.
"The original report was that the trawler was on the water but, on arrival, we found it was on dry dock," he said.
Mr Blackley said the trawler had been undergoing refurbishment and sparks from a welder started the fire.
"They did have a fire watch but the sparks were still getting into the hold," he said.
"There's a lot of smoke and heat damage."
Mr Blackley said the trawler owner emptied the contents of a dry chemical fire extinguisher and closed the hatch which "undoubtedly" stopped the fire from spreading.
He said firefighters were sent in wearing breathing apparatus, carrying a hoseline and a thermal imagery camera.
"They found the fire to be extinguished once inside," Mr Blackley said.
There also was damage to electrical cabling but no one was believed to be hurt in the blaze.