KILLARNEY grain grower Craig Thompson took home a gold medal award recognising outstanding farming achievements at the 2013 Pacific Seeds Central and Southern Downs awards recently.
Other high achievers from our region included Olsen's Produce (Customer Service Award), while Pursehouse Rural received the Agent Excellence Award.
Pacific Seeds managing director Nick Gardner said the awards recognised the best retailers and growers on the Downs.
"We're working hard in Pacific Seeds to move towards more successful seasons in the future and we appreciate your help and look forward to continue working with you," he said.
Mr Gardner said the year had been turbulent, but the loyalty, dedication and service shown by agents and growers helped the industry remain resilient.
"The industry has endured difficult weather conditions in the south for winter crops early in the year and we have not exactly had the best start here in Queensland for the summer crop," Mr Gardner said.
He said the recent patchy storms have helped and the moisture generated last weekend has been a great relief.
"The demand for seed on Monday and Tuesday (last week) fuelled by the rain we had last weekend made it one of the biggest days we've ever had with seed going out of our Toowoomba warehouse and other locations.
"We will need a lot more rain and a lot more fair weather before we can claim 2013/2014 summer crop as a successful year."
The 2013 winners were:
- The Trial Co-Operator of the Year went to Brazil Farming Co - Brazil Farming Co, and Paul and Karen Dieckmann;
- The Agent Excellence Award was collected by Pursehouse Rural - Warwick, Allora, Pittsworth, Melrose and Clifton;
- A Field Service Award was handed to Norco Rural - Toowoomba, Quinalow and Allora, and PB Agrifood's Brookstead depot Vary's scooped the Excellence in Service Award;
- Felton Produce was presented with the Agent Service Award and the Customer Service Award was collected by Olsen's Produce;
- The two Achiever Awards went to NFW - Toowoomba, Cecil Plains and Dalveen, and Landmark - Toowoomba, Oakey, Colonsay and Pittsworth;
- The other individual awards for farmers were the Gold Medal Award, presented to Craig Thompson and the High Flyer Award, picked up by David Ridgway.