RIDERS from Toowoomba and Rockhampton have a bright future in rodeo after winning all 2014 team roping rookie titles in the Australian Professional Rodeo Association.
Clint Purse, of Glencoe, just west of Toowoomba, won the team roping header title and Cameron Milner, of Rockhampton, led the team roping heeler standings at the end of the 2014 rookie season.
Purse capped an outstanding season in the sport with the rookie rope and tie pro tour title.
Both Purse and Milner competed in the NFR in open events. Milner had an outstanding NFR with a second, third and fourth for fourth overall in the rope and tie while Purse recorded a fourth in combination with Corey Heath, of Tabbita, NSW, in team roping.
In a sport where a 10-hour drive is often the norm to a rodeo, Milner has a relatively short drive to Nebo recently for the first rodeo of the new APRA season.
Gogango cowgirl P.J. Hanrahan, Roma steer wrestler Clay Gordon and Springsure saddle bronc rider Allan Powell will be three to watch this season after winning rookie pro tour titles in the season which ended on April 30.
The rookie cowgirl of the year and breakaway roping buckles were won by former Alton Downs (Qld) rider Calla Matthews, who now calls Tamworth in NSW home.
Matthews is one rookie star who hasn't had to wait to the open ranks to mix it with the best in the sport.
She was second in the aggregate in the open barrel race at the National Finals Rodeo at Caboolture and recorded two fourths in the rounds of breakaway roping.
The new APRA season started at Nebo in the Nebo Undercover Arena on Saturday, May 24, the hometown of Jarrod Deguara, one of the best steer wrestlers in the nation.
There is a championship points rodeo at Bundaberg tonight, which is ideally situated to attract the large contingent of Central Queensland riders, along with many of the competitors from the south-east and south-west areas of the state.
The Northern Run is one of the two biggest in the APRA and starts on July 19 at Taroom.
ROOKIE PRO TOUR CHAMPIONS:
- Rookie Cowboy of the Year Gerard Oversby (Walcha, NSW)
- Saddle bronc Allan Powell (Springsure, Qld)
- Bull ride Gerard Oversby (Walcha, NSW)
- Bareback bronc ride Lachlan Marshall (Berrigan, NSW)
- Rope and tie Clint Purse (Glencoe, Qld)
- Steer wrestling Clay Gordon (Roma, Qld)
- Team roping header Clint Purse (Glencoe, Qld)
- Team roping heeler Cameron Milner (Rockhampton, Qld)
- Rookie Cowgirl of the Year Calla Matthews (Tamworth, NSW)
- Barrel race P.J. Hanrahan (Gogango, Qld)
- Breakaway roping Calla Matthews (Tamworth, NSW)