AGRICULTURE Minister John McVeigh said he would consider putting movement restrictions in place if there was further risk to cattle in Central Queensland as a result of Bovine Johne's disease.
Mr McVeigh, who was responding to a question without notice in State Parliament on Tuesday, said the latest outbreak was detected as part of the ongoing testing of properties that received cattle from a stud outside Rockhampton in November 2012.
"As part of our standard procedures for all positive BJD results, samples have been submitted to the National Reference Laboratory in Victoria for strain typing to determine the source of this latest infection," he said.
"As this latest property is a commercial herd and not a stud, we do not expect the number of potentially affected trace-forward properties to be as extensive as the previous detection.
"We believe the majority of cattle affected in this case would already have been sent to slaughter, so this will again reduce impacts."
Mr McVeigh said Biosecurity Queensland was well prepared and equipped to deal with the situation.
"Queensland leads the way in managing this disease, especially the property disease investigation plan process we have developed over the last 12 months," he said.
"We have 50 staff working in the field and in our state-of-the-art laboratory at Coopers Plains.
"We have received more than 4,000 samples from a total of 10,500 animals from 108 properties.
"So far only five properties have received a positive test result for BJD.
"In terms of financial support, the government is continuing to provide assistance packages to producers affected, with a total of up to now $5million available to support the industry."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.