WET weather earlier in the week again reduced numbers, this time to 1800, at Thursday's Emerald cattle sale.
With a more local offering of stock, quality was much better and values for most descriptions improved, the only exception being heavy cows and bulls.
In the slaughter section, bullocks over 550kg sold to 178c/kg, to average 171c/kg, a gain of three cents. There were insufficient numbers of steers 500-550kg to quote.
Heavy heifers over 400kg made to 162c/kg to average 152c/kg, also an improvement of three cents, heavy cows over 520kg sold to 147c/kg to average 139c/kg, five cents easier; 400-520kg cows reached 142c/kg to average 130c/kg, one cent easier; while bulls over 600kg made to 136c/kg.
In the store section, heavy feeder steers 400-500kg gained two cents for the small number offered to sell to 163c/kg and average 159c/kg, 320-400kg steers peaked at 176c/kg to average 159c/kg, also a gain of two cents, 220-320kg steers made as much as 186c/kg, to average 171c/kg, a gain of four cents; while light steers under 220kg reached 182c/kg.
Feeder heifers 300-400kg sold to 153c/kg, to average 145c/kg, six cents better, 220-300kg heifers peaked at 148c/kg to average 140c/kg, no change, while light heifers under 220kg sold to 145c/kg.
About 40 cows and calves were on offer, selling from $690 to $840.
Emerald Sale Highlights
Thursday, February 21. Yarding: 1800.
- David & Anne Prince, Melaleuca, Capella had their 615kg droughtmaster cross bullocks reach 178.2c/kg and $1095
- The Bulger Family, Carinyah, The Willows offered 665kg bullocks to make 176.2c/kg and $1154
- John Sullivan, Cowley, Springsure had his braford cross cows reach 140c/kg, weighing 546kg for $766
- Gordon & Jan Hoch, Vinabel, Alpha sold 484kg young brahman cross cows to 145c/kg and $702
- The Sibson Family, Cotherstone, Dysart consigned a line of 334kg droughtmaster cross heifers to make 152.2c/kg and $508
- The Prewett Family, Glendariwell, Emerald sold 256kg brangus weaner steers to 185.2c/kg and $475
- Arrolla Grazing Co, Arrolla, Cloncurry sold droughtmaster cows for 140c/kg, to weigh 541kg and return $759.03
- James Muller, Arrolla, Cloncurry sold droughtmaster cows for 148c/kg, to weigh 511kg and return $758.60
- Gunnawarra Pastoral Co, Gewkerne, Muttaburra sold brahman cows to 150c/kg, to weigh 454kg and return $682
- Kirrilly Parcell, Padva, Springsure sold 232 large-frame charbray cows to a top of 146c/kg to return $1016.40; the run averaged 137c/kg at 594kg
- Peter Cook & Family sold droughtmaster steers to weigh 379kg for 176c/kg
- Vic Roffey & Family sold droughtmaster cross heifers to weigh 440kg for 162c/kg
- Boongulla Grazing Co, Boongulla, Springsure sold droughtmaster cows to 139c/kg at 526kg, to return $732
- Juanita Pastoral Co, Springsure sold quality droughtmaster weaner steers for 179c/kg, weighing 268kg to return $480; their sisters made 140c/kg, weighing 286kg for $400
- Hughenden Station offered a run of No.2 droughtmaster heifers to top at 144c/kg, weighing 288kg for a return of $414
- David & Lynette Keene, Emerald sold brahman steers for 168c/kg, weighing 613kg to return $1031
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.