CONTINUING wet conditions reduced numbers to just more than 900 head at last Thursday's Emerald cattle sale.
Comparatively prime cattle were in good supply and sold to solid competition.
- Stores were limited in number, some of the steers improving in value, while the heifers eased a further 3-5c/kg on previous rates.
- Bullocks over 550kg made as much as 181c/kg for a good average of 177c/kg, six cents better.
- Steers 500-550kg topped at 169c/kg for a 168c/kg cent average, eight cents better.
- Steers 400-500kg were a couple of cents stronger, to reach 165c/kg and average 161c/kg.
- Steers 320-400kg saw no change, while those in the 220-320kg group also made to 180c/kg for a 156c/kg average, a loss of eight cents.
- There were too few under 220kg to quote reliably.
- In a pleasing cow market, the best of the cows over 520kg made to 154c/kg to average 145c/kg, a gain of six cents.
- Cows 400-520kg reached 145c/kg for a 138c/kg average, seven cents more than the previous sale.
- Slaughter heifers sold well to 164c/kg, for a 155c/kg average, three cents better.
- The 300-400kg store heifers lost a further five cents to top at 157c/kg and average 140c/kg.
- Heifers 220-300kg eased by three cents to top at 147c/kg and average 136c/kg.
- A pen of good-quality, well-conditioned cows and calves sold to $840.
There was no sale at CQLX last Friday due to bad weather and yesterday's Emerald sale was also cancelled.
Emerald Sale Highlights
Thursday, February 28. Yarding: 900.
- The Daniels Family, Stonybrook Grazing Co, Springsure sold a draft of santa bullocks weighing 670kg for 178c/kg and $1192
- Stan & Pat Knight, Iona, Emerald sold 533kg droughtmaster cross steers for 168c/kg to return $897, while their 458kg heifers topped at 161c/kg and $734
- Ken & Evelyn O'Brien, Myrtle Park, Comet offered 615kg santa cows, topping at 142c/kg and $874
- The Barlow Family, Amaroo, Comet sold 437kg brangus heifers to 155c/kg and $678
- The Hatte Family, Ramboda, Anakie offered santa cross steers, the 344kg tops making 180c/kg to return $620
- Morrie & Connie Iddles, Nogoa Downs, Emerald sold light conditioned 290kg droughtmaster cross heifers for 145c/kg and $421
- Helen Bell, Bluehills, Emerald sold droughtmaster bullocks 660kg for 180c/kg to return $1190.82
- JC & ML Stevens, Cremona, Julia Creek sold a run of No.1 brahman steers 375kg to average 160c/kg to return $601
- Seamark Pty Ltd, Metro, Springsure sold charbray cows 622kg for 154c/kg to return $960
- Kerry & Cathy Truloff sold brahman cross cows 494kg topping at 145c/kg to return $716
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.