THE market for meatworks cattle and cows and calves was firm on the previous week as a small yarding of 965 head came to hand at CQLX Gracemere last Friday.
Weaner cattle were a shade dearer.
The cattle were largely drawn from local areas, together with a line of breeder heifers all the way from from Julia Creek and a line of feeder type steers and heifers from Theodore. The yarding comprised 314 steers and bullocks, 525 heifers, 45 cows, 21 bulls and 34 cows and calves.
Steers to 200kg averaged 179c/kg or $318 a head, steers 201-300kg averaged 160c/kg or $407 and those 301-400kg averaged 155c/kg or $510. Steers 401-500kg averaged 163c/kg or $682, while those over 500kg averaged 168c/kg or $916, topping at $1002.
Heifers to 200kg averaged 142c/kg or $249 a head, 201-300kg heifers averaged 144c/kg or $355, 301-400kg heifers averaged 145c/kg or $465, while those over 401kg averaged 129c/kg or $648, reaching a top of $763.
Cows and calves averaged $584, with a maximum of $895. Cows 320-400kg averaged 109c/kg or $428 a head, cows 400-450kg averaged 117c/kg or $491, while those over 450kg averaged 122c/kg or $598, reaching a top of $774.
Bulls up to 450kg averaged 134c/kg or $376a head, bulls and mickies 451-600kg averaged 116c/kg or $615, while bulls over 600kg averaged $1027 and reached $1470.
CQLX Sale Highlights
Friday, February 22.
- Steven and Tessa Beak, Marlborough sold a pen of brahman and brahman cross cows and calves to top at $895
- Susan Peddle, Dululu sold a pen of good-quality brahman weaner heifers to top at 159c/kg, weighing 240kg to return $388
- Ken Ingham, Mountain View, Calliope sold brangus weaner steers for 184c/kg, weighing 241kg and returning $444
- Margaret Hunt, Bushley sold brahman cross weaner steers to top at 187c/kg, weighing 182kg for $342
- Coorumburra Rural Enterprises, Marlborough sold 40 No.1 quality brangus steers topping at 170c/kg, averaging 165c/kg and returning $695
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.