FOR a number of Australians, October and November mark the unwelcome start of storm and fire season. From storms and fires to cyclones and floods, Australia is prone to some of the world's most extreme weather conditions. The intensity of storm and fire season began earlier than usual this year, with the east coast of Australia already experiencing unexpectedly high temperatures, early bush fires and gathering storm cells.
The simple act of preparing your property and having an emergency kit ready could make a life-changing difference this storm and fire season. The following Home Emergency Kit Checklist will help you be prepared, especially when the power goes out.
- A torch;
- A portable radio;
- A range of batteries - AAA, AA, 9V, C and D;
- First aid kit;
- Sterilised wipes to clean cuts;
- All important documents, including birth certificates, passports and licences, are in a safe carry case;
- A list of emergency contact numbers;
- Good supply of required medications ;
- Any special requirements and supplies for babies, the disabled and/or elderly;
- Fresh food and drinking water;
- Pet foods.
There are also a number of simple activities you can do to help prepare your property for storm and fire season.