FIVE boys, over 4000 acres and 200 stud breeder and commercial cattle keeps Alan and Sonia Martin pretty busy.
The owners of Riverslea Santa Gertrudis Stud have rural life running through their veins.
Alan was born into farming and worked on the family property alongside his father and grandfather from a young age.
Sonia grew up on the outskirts of Melbourne on a beef cattle and thoroughbred farm.
The couple now based in Northern New South Wales say they had a horrid summer and autumn, but a late break in the weather has turned the property green.
"It's just beautiful, we've got oats growing and a lot of grain, there's just an abundance of feed," Mrs Martin said.
"We had three horrendous years of drought so it's nice to be looking for places to store feed instead of out buying it."
Last week the Martin family held their 5th annual santa gertrudis bull sale.
The top price was lot 7 to repeat clients R&D Officer, Boomi, for $15,500. They also took home lot 2 for $10,000.
"It's the highest price we've ever had," Mrs Martin said.
"Riverslea K9 (P) had always stood out to us," she said.
"I remember my husband taking a photo of him when he was a calf and said 'that's bloody nice unit," she joked.
"He was very quiet - just that exceptional nature."
Mrs Martin said each year the prices for their bulls continued to go up.
"I think it reflects the investment in genetics," she said.
"You spend so much time with these animals.
"You get attached and emotionally involved in them.
"To get such great results underpinned by repeat buyers is very satisfying."
The Martins run a mixed-farming operation growing wheat, barley and fodder summer crops as well as running a commercial herd alongside the stud.
Their five sons Luke, 4, Damon, 7, Mallee, 10, Jared, 12 and Lachlan, 14 are also keen to be involved in the property.
"Lachlan is just as passionate as us," Mrs Martin said.
"He helps out preparing the bulls and he shows the cattle.
"I think he'd rather be at home working on the property instead of going to school," she laughed.
The Martins show their cattle locally including Moree and Inverell shows.
They also help out and participate in the Warwick Santa Gertrudis Junior Camp and Inverell Beef Cattle Clinic.
- Top price was lot 7 to repeat clients R&D Officer - Boomi - for $15,500. They also took home lot 2 for $10,000.
- Lot 6 was sold for $12,500 and will head north with Andrew Doering.
- The Looker family from Guyra purchased lot 8 for $8500, and lot 10 for $4,000. Also heading Guyra way, the Ross Family picked up lot 10 for $7,000.
- Repeat client Able Pastoral secured Lot 6 for $8,000. Other repeat clients Rusty Co purchased lot 17 for $5500; Glenbank Family Farm from Vic lot 18 for $4,000; also heading to repeat Vic clients, lot 13 to Julbre Park for $3,000.
- New client - Tim Moses secured Lot 9 for $5,500 & Lot 12 for $5,000.
- Lot 4 also went to Kamawa Stud for $3,000.
- Four herd bulls headed north to St George via Elders.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.