Menu
News

Fireys call off protest against the Premier as danger soars

AS THE Fraser Coast's region's fire danger soars, rural firefighters have called off a planned protest meeting with Premier Campbell Newman this weekend so they can be close to the communities they protect.

A joint media release from the Rural Fire Brigades Association Queensland and the State Government on Wednesday said the government "welcomes and appreciates the positive role that the RFBAQ has taken in elevating the concerns of volunteers and negotiating significant concessions on their behalf".

Rural firefighters have expressed frustration and anger over lack of funding and independence.

Wednesday's statement said brigades would be kept informed of "positive changes".

"The RFBAQ and State Government also want to acknowledge and wholeheartedly support the Queensland, New South Wales and other state volunteers and retained firefighters who are protecting their communities in NSW and encourage them all to stay safe."

Minister for Police and Community Safety Jack Dempsey and the RFBAQ last week agreed to increased support for Rural Fire Brigades in Queensland through increased levels of funding and resourcing.

Under the agreement, Assistant Minister for Emergency Volunteers Ted Malone will implement the recommendations of his own review which should result in significantly increased state support for the more than 1400 rural fire brigades and more than 35,000 volunteer firefighters who defend 93% of Queensland.

Topics:  danger fire premier r18+


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.