A LARGE yarding of about 3000 head came to hand at last Thursday's Emerald cattle sale.
Again this week, northern and western cattle from Richmond, Muttaburra and districts were amongst the yarding as dry conditions continue.
Store cattle saw dearer rates for weaners, due to a few extra restockers in attendance, although feeder weight cattle saw cheaper rates due to reduced demand.
- The yarding consisted of about 930 mixed quality prime cattle and 2000 store cattle.
- Weaner steers 220-320kg topped at 207.2c/kg, to average 169.8c/kg, up another 27c/kg on the previous sale.
- Weaner heifers 220-320kg topped at 166.2c/kg, to average 144.2c/kg, up 8c/kg on the previous sale.
- Prime cattle took a hard hit as processors cheapened rates by up to 10-20c/kg compared to the previous sale two weeks ago.
- Prime bullocks 550-750kg topped at 165.2c/kg, to average 157.4c/kg, 20c/kg down. Prime heavy cows over 520kg topped at 137.2c/kg, to average 128.3c/kg, 16c/kg down.
- Prime heavy heifers over 400kg topped at 153.2c/kg, to average 144.9c/kg, down 10c/kg.
- A large yarding of cows and calves topped at $825 for some large-framed heavy cows with large calves at foot.
Next week's Emerald cattle sale will be held on Tuesday, March 26, due to the Easter holidays.
Emerald Sale Highlights
Thursday, March 14.
- Rob & Candy Cross, Fermanagh, Anakie sold a good quality line of santa weaner steers weighing 303kg on average, to top at 197.2c/kg and average 192.4c/kg, returning $584
- Mick & Karen Zimmermann, Boonal Downs, Capella sold quality santa No.1 prime steers weighing 551kg, to make 161.2c/kg and return $890
- Murray & Maria Brimblecombe, Mt Lowe, Capella sold quality droughtmaster prime cows weighing 667kg, to make 132.2c/kg and return $882
- Phil & Donna Lewis, Hillview, Anakie sold droughtmaster No.1 bullocks for 163c/kg, weighing 633kg to return $1020
- Sherwin Past, Ormonoe, Hughenden sold No.2 droughtmaster steers for 171c/kg, weighing 317kg, returning $542
- Richard, Jenny & Will Jansen, Riverview, Alpha sold euro cross steers weighing 334kg for 176c/kg, to realise $589
- Anoren & Angela Schwarz, Juanita, Fernlees sold a run of quality No.1 Char cross heifers for 153c/kg, weighing 490kg for $753
- Tom & Sylvia Christmas, Gibson Downs, Capella sold droughtmaster cows and calves for $740
- Chapman Holdings, Airlie, Emerald sold brahman cross cows for 131.2c/kg, to weigh 506kg and return $668.57
- Humphies Grazing, Dotswood, Muttaburra sold a run of braford steers to top at 180c/kg, to weigh 237c/kg and return $428.62
- No 27 Pastoral Co, Acton, Richmond sold a good run of brahman cows to top at 135.2c/kg, to weigh 473.2kg and return $639.81
- LK & JA Investments, Cambridge Downs, Springsure sold 560kg droughtmaster cows for 136.2c/kg, returning $763.61
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.