BACK in 2010, Inglewood's Lyndon Frey set himself a challenge.
He wanted to keep the heritage dorset horn sheep breed alive and strong in Australia, and within five years he wanted to make it to the Sydney Royal Show with his stock.
Now, four years on, he's well on track to achieving both.
As the only dorset horn sheep stud in Queensland, and one of just 20 nationwide, Mr Frey is determined to see successes on his Inglewood farm.
"I'm a fourth generation grazier from Inglewood and my great grandfather came here in 1873, so we're locals now," Mr Frey said during the Heritage Bank Toowoomba Royal Show.
"I bought my first ewes back in 2010 and a stud ram in 2011."
He's not a man to take the easy road in anything, much less his sheep stud, so there's little wonder why he chose to breed dorset horns.
"It's absolutely tough getting breeding stock, especially since we can't source any sheep out of Victoria because of the ovine Johne's disease.
"I can only source stud stock from Dubbo and Tamworth."
On his 4586ha property, he runs 24 stud dorset horns, 100 poll dorsets, about 250 commercial crossbred ewes, as well as 100 merino ewes and 180 hereford cows.
Together with his mother, Mr Frey follows the mantra of his father, which is one that should resonate with a lot of producers.
"He always said not to pin your hopes on just one industry but become a master of a few," Mr Frey said.
And he's got a lot of faith in the sheep industry.
"I know Queensland is a very big cattle paddock that has only expanded over the past 20 years, but the merino wool industry certainly has a future here," he said.
"The merino wool is the best in the world and if we can convince more farmers to go back into the industry, it will definitely have a strong future."
- Champion pen of lambs: J&A Waters
- Champion single lamb: Rhyre Holdings
- Champion border leicester ewe: V Goring
- Champion dorper ram: Bellevue Dorpers
- Champion dorper ewe: Bellevue Dorpers
- Champion dorset horn ram: L Frey
- Champion dorset horn ewe: L Frey
- Champion poll dorset ram: C&M Rubie
- Champion poll dorset ewe: R Mansbridge
- Champion southdown ram: A&N Byrne
- Champion southdown ewe: A&N Byrne
- Champion suffolk ram: Milton & Hall
- Champion suffolk ewe: Milton & Hall
- Champion texel ram: Scot's PGC College
- Champion texel ewe: Scot's PGC College
- Champion white dorper ram: Bellevue White Dorpers
- Champion white dorper ewe: SR & DM Emmerton
- Champion white suffolk ram: J Milton
- Champion white suffolk ewe: J Milton
- Champion ram of show: C&M Rubie
- Champion ewe of show: Milton & Hall
- Champion pen, ram/ewe: SR&DM Emmerton
- Champion meat sheep breeders group: R Mansbridge