BUNDABERG cane farmers Joe and Coral Zunker are "very, very proud" their farming company Redtrail Pty Ltd has taken out the district champion for the sixth year running at the annual Bundaberg Sugar Industry Productivity Achievement Awards.
The awards for the 2012 season were held at the The Waves last Friday night.
Coral Zunker said it was great to celebrate last year's crush and forget, for a little while, about the devastation some farmers were facing since the disaster hit the region in January.
"We'll commiserate this year's crush next year," she said.
Mrs Zunker said it was the fantastic red soil at their farm on the Hummock, as well as a good program of fertilising and keeping the crops watered, that led to their success.
While their farms at the Hummock weren't affected by the recent floods, a crop at McGills Rd was washed out and Mrs Zunker expects the production from that farm will be halved.
"Last year we got 3800 tonnes, but this year we'll probably only get around 1500 tonnes," she said.
Mrs Zunker said 2012 was their best production year and it came down to good weather.
"We had plenty of rain, but not all at once, like lately. It meant everyone had a good production."
The 2012 crush season lasted 23 weeks, whereas it is normally about 16 weeks.
Chairman of the organising committee Tony Castro said the event was the sugar industry's opportunity to celebrate its successes by honouring industry participants who have excelled during the preceding year.
About 200 invited guests including growers, millers, sponsors, suppliers and industry associates attended.
- J & R McCracken Highest Actual CCS Samples - Awarded to the grower who has returned the highest actual CCS sample for the 2012 Season, per mill area. Bingera Mill - JJ Bailey, tied with IK and PR Jensen; and Millaquin Mill - RC & Mrs MA Rehbein.
- McDonald Murphy Machinery Harvesting Contractor Award for Best Harvesting Efficiency and Most Reliable Performance - Zunmar Harvesting Pty Ltd (Josh Zunker).
- Century Batteries Award For The Best Farm Presentation For Harvesting - BR Angel.
- Bundaberg Regional Council Award for Contribution to Productivity - James Ogden-Brown.
- Rabobank Awards for Service to Industry - Jay Hubert and Ron Stitt.
- SunWater - Young Industry Achiever - Andrew Fyffe (Dandy Produce Pty Ltd).
Incitec Pivot Cane Growing Excellence Award - two divisions:
- 1. Up to and including 60ha - SM, BM, SA & DJ Cronin;
- 2. > 60ha - Greensill Sugar Pty Ltd (Peter Greensill).
Highest Tonnes Sugar Per Harvested Hectare - Per Mill Area - Sponsored by Sunfam:
- 1. Millaquin - WR and AJ Baldry;
- 2. Bingera - GS Hindmarch.
Percentage Closest Estimate to Actual Tonnage - Sponsored by Bundaberg Regional Council - DL, BF, TD & RA Eichmann.
High Sugar Achiever Awards - sponsored by NAB.
- This year's high sugar producers are: P Formosa & S Formosa (No 1 Farm), DJ & Mrs YR Young (No 2 Farm), Niyab Holdings P/Ltd Trustee Hill End Farms Pty Ltd (No 1 Farm), Cayley Nominees Pty Ltd (No 2 Farm).
- Highest Tonnes Sugar Per Cane Production Area (Hectares) - Average of Past Three Seasons - Millaquin Mill Area - Sponsored by Westpac - Redtrail Pty Ltd.
- Highest Tonnes Sugar Per Cane Production Area (Hectares) - Average of Past Three Seasons Bingera Mill Area - Sponsored by Hortus Technical Services - WN & JF Tobin.
- District Champion - Redtrail Pty Ltd
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.