THE results of a two-year evaluation of different steer-finishing systems will be presented and discussed at a field day at Bannockburn at Bell on April 26.
The finishing systems evaluated at the producer demonstration site at Bannockburn encompassed improved pastures, leucaena, oats, and grain feeding.
The field day will be hosted by the Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry and Meat and Livestock Australia, as part of the FutureBeef Program for Northern Australia.
The economic performance of the finishing systems, live weight gains, stocking rates, and faecal NIRS results examined in the project will be released. Guest speaker topics include:
- What to look for in the upcoming season: Professor Roger Stone;
- Will your grass last?: Col Paton (EcoRich Grazing);
- Burenda angus and its forage options: Jonathan Schmidt;
- Understanding GPs and rumen modifiers: Peter Ramsey (Elanco); and
- Three Day Sickness: Bell Veterinary Services.
It will run 9.30am-4pm, with smoko and lunch provided.
To register, phone Tim Emery by April 23 on 0408707155 or email email@example.com.
Beef producers can also visit futurebeef.com.au to access the latest free research-based technical production information, practical tools, recorded webinars, YouTube videos, an events calendar, current project outlines, online newsletters and eBulletins.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.