SUBARU'S performance legend, the WRX STI, will reach new performance highs from a rock-bottom price.
The entry-level Subaru WRX STI will start from $49,990 plus on-roads, with the Premium variant costing $54,990.
That is a price reduction of $10,000 on the base 2014 model STI, and a $11,000 reduction on the up-spec variant. While that may seem like a significant reduction, any buyers of the WRX STI over the past 18 months would have received a significant discount off the retail price so current owners won't be too despondent.
It will be powered by the carryover 2.5-litre turbocharged Direct Overhead Camshaft Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine with dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS). The donk produces 221 kilowatts of power at 6000rpm and 407 Newton metres of torque at 4000rpm.
The transmission is a slicker-shifting six-speed manual.
While there are no power or torque gains, Subaru says it has focused on improved response to driver commands.
It has improved frontal vision, stiffer suspension, active torque vectoring (which applies the brake to the inner front wheel when cornering for more neutral steering), better turn-in with a quicker steering ratio, flatter cornering and it's also the safest Subaru ever made - with seven airbags and a reversing camera helping achieve a five-star rating.
Inside there is more room with a larger wheelbase, the bottom of the A-pillar is extended 200mm toward the front, while wing mirrors are mounted on the front door panels and a new quarter window added. The dashboard and front door window sills are also lower.
Subaru has also raised the bar with luxuries, a harman kardon stereo is now standard, along with sat nav, dual zone air con and push button start.
The only option on both variants is the big rear wing, which customers can choose to remove at no cost.
It comes in seven colours, black, white, grey, two shades of blue, silver and red.
Subaru WRX STI features include:
- Bluetooth audio streaming
- Climate control air conditioning - dual zone
- Cruise control - steering wheel buttons
- harman kardon sound - eight speakers, sub-woofer and amplifier
- Factory fitted satellite navigation with voice control
- Leather trim steering wheel with red stitching and audio controls; leather gearshift and handbrake
- Power steering, mirrors and windows
- Push button start with smart key technology
- 4.3-inch colour LCD Multi-Information Display
- 60/40 split/fold rear seat
- 12V/120W power jacks
- Colour-coded mirrors and door handles
- Daytime running lights
- Automatic dusk sensing lights and rain sensing windscreen wipers
- Sports body kit
- One-touch indicators
- Rear Limited Slip Differential
- 12-month Roadside Assist
- Three-year unlimited kilometre warranty
- BBS 18-inch alloy wheels
- Electric sunroof
- Heated front seats
- Heated door mirrors
- Leather trim
- Power driver's seat - eight-way adjustable
- Wiper de-icer